Monday, November 24, 2008

transportation town hall

So, we're just back from the Transportation Town Hall at the Swinging 60s Club. Simple summary: the Hassidim are pissed.

The slightly glib summary would also mention that business owners are also pissed. So was this lady behind us, who represented everyone's palpable displeasure with the new bike lanes on Kent Street.

Speaking as a dude who bikes every day and is wholeheartedly in favor of bike lanes, including one on yummy wide Kent Street, I can get their beefs.

The Hassidim can't safely drop their kids off and it does sound like some cops didn't get the memo about stopping exceptions, leading to some perhaps dubious tickets.

The business owners and their bunged up deliveries most certainly get the short end of the stick.

So, the bike lane is not ideal. As a biker, I don't ask for the world. I want a basically car-free space, where I feel might rights and person are respected: I am not scrapping for a wee sliver of the road that I most certainly deserve to be on.

Anyhow, David Yassky sort of played conciliator and agreed that there should be further discussion amongst affected parties.

Which leads me to a few final thoughts:

1. People, we got our asses kicked. The Hassids, business-owners and pissy lady factions showed up en masse. All we bikers had were a few valient, voluble bikers...but just a few!

Anyhow, I am new to this politics stuff and perhaps Yassky was posturing/throwing a bone. If there is a subsequent pow-wow of some consequence, bikers should be heard!

2. This section of Kent is part of the proposed Brooklyn Greenway. I am a fan of the Greenway and do a bit of work for them. It absolutely seems like a great project. Still, I would be curious to know how necessary a continuous Kent path is...I suspect it does make a very real difference and I for one like it and I would gladly stop if the cars stopping also do it in an orderly fashion that respects my space.

No comments: